chimney corners

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Entry #7: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe- Reaserch on C.S. Lewis

   To start this essay, I Googled "C.S. Lewis". Tons of websites and blogs about him popped up. I clicked on one and read the top paragraph. It was about how great C.S. Lewis was. It was the same for all of the next few websites. I got interested in what they had to say. I have loved The Chronicles of Narnia all my life, but had no idea how much people had actually appreciated it's author. I got this quote from this website.

For more than fifty years, the world C. S. Lewis created in Narnia has captured our hearts and imaginations. Both children and adults have discovered that rereading the books leads to entirely new experiences and insights. In the midst of these breathtaking stories of adventure, betrayal, and discovery in a magical land are profound messages about the true meaning of life.

   I thought that this quote is a good summary of why I re-read and re-read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe again and again.
   On some other websites, I found lists of essays by C.S. Lewis. I decided to read the essay The Necessity of Chivalry. I was amazed at the ideas that C.S. Lewis wrote about. He wrote about the different form of chivalry: giving a woman a seat on a train, or fighting in the army. I looked up the dictionary definition of chivalry on the Merriam-Webster online dictionary and came up with a gallant or distinguished gentlemen.
   After reading The Necessity of Chivalry, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I can see a connection between the two. C.S. Lewis shows chivalrous characters in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Some examples are The Professor and Aslan. Both are wise and brave. By choosing such wise characters to be chivalrous was a way of saying that great people and creatures are chivalrous; so chivalry is good.
   For my final segment, I read C.S. Lewis's Obituary. I defiantly agree with the author when he said:
"Clive Staples Lewis had a natural literary gift."
   His stories ans essays have made an amazing impact on many people's lives. Although his most famous books are fantasy, they capture real life. The characters are real people that are almost friends to me. I will never forget the first time I truly read The Chronicles of Narnia. I remember walking through the wardrobe myself.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You did so much research! I have to say, this entry really interested me. I really felt places where I could connect as well, because we both read The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved that response micaela! You found interesting research, but also elaborated and connected the research to yourself which was awesome.
    You used a really nice variety of sources too. One thing to think about next time is maybe making the structure a bit clearer. STill, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete