chimney corners

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Coming of Age Response: What are some traditonal markers for growing up in our culture? How do you think society defines adulthood?

**This is a short story about a girl about to have her bat mitzvah**

I put on the dress I had picked out last month and admire the sky blue fabric that comes down to a few inches above my knees. I spin around and watch the skirt fly up, and then settle again. After checking that the makeup that I had put on was perfect I slowly put on my shoes.

I can't believe that this is actually happening, I think. I remember watching all of my cousins get bat mitzvahed, but i had never quite processed that I would do it to. This is supposed to make me a Jewish adult, but I'm not sure that I'm ready

"Eliza!" my mom calls. "It's time to leave." I twirl once more and make my way down the stairs, careful not to trip on my new heels.

The walk to the temple seems to be miles, although it is only three blocks away from my house. My mom is talking, but the words seem to go through my head without me noticing. I am practicing the hardest prayer that I have to recite over and over again in my head and trying, and failing, to keep my knees from shaking.

All of a sudden it hits me with a jolt. I'm in the temple. People are looking at me, waiting for me to start. I take a deep breath. Then I start. I'm refusing to look up at the eyes following my every move. I reach the hardest part. All of a sudden the Hebrew letters look jumbled. Focus, I think. The words come out smoothly. I'm done. I did it, I think. My thoughts do a celebratory dance as I scan the faces watching me for the first time. they look back at me with smiles on their faces.

I am an adult, I think. This was my transition, my test. I passed it. Maybe I'm not an adult yet, but I have begun that journey today.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very intriguing story. I would love to know more about the narrator's thoughts and feelings during and after the event.

    ReplyDelete